Thursday, April 4, 2013

Student in the Spotlight: Patrick Michael Miller

Name: Patrick Michael Miller

Age: 18 School: Stratford High School

Grade: Senior

Photo credit: Will Klussmann

Favorite class: “Economics because I have always thought money was interesting and I like learning about the distribution of wealth and services throughout society.”

Extracurricular: “I pretty much just swim whenever I am outside of school, I don’t really have time for anything else.”

Accomplishments:
  • Olympic Swimming Trials qualifier
  • Junior National Swimming finalist •
  • UIL (University Interscholastic League) 2013 State Champion in the 200 Individual Medley (IM) (a new school and 4A state record previously held by Olympic Gold Medalist Doug Gjerston)
  • UIL State Champion in the 110 Fly (new school record)
  • Part of UIL 2013 State Champion male team in the 400 Free Relay (a new school record and 4A State record)
Favorite website: www.swimswam.com
Favorite movie: “Se7en”
Favorite TV show: “The Following” or “Friends”
Favorite Book: “Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger or “The Kite Runner” by Khaled Hosseini Can’t live without: “Music, friends, family…”

Ambition: “I will be swimming at Duke University (next year) and I plan to major in economics. I want to continue to swim throughout college, but also maintain school work and grades. I am really excited about going to Duke. I was choosing between there and Columbia, but the visit and practice with the swim team made my choice obvious – Duke is definitely the school for me.”

What drives you to succeed? “The constant idea that I can always get better and there is continuously something I can work on to keep improving.” When did you start swimming? “I started swimming when I was 6.”

What is the hardest part about the sport? “Definitely the time commitment. I practice multiple hours a day including weekends; it is a lot of work, and if you aren’t passionate about it you can easily lose interest.”

Do you think swimming has taught you any valuable lessons that can be applied to other parts of your life? “Yes, swimming has taught me to be responsible and realize I’m at fault for both my success and failures. I think knowing this has made me work harder in every direction of my life because I understand that the results are directly related to the effort I put in, and if I don’t put in good effort, then the outcomes won’t be very good.”

-- Communications Dept. student intern Kali Venable compiled this report.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Do you have feedback? Tell us.