Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A Tribute to SBISD's May T-2-4 Teacher, Coach Rene Rosales

Congratulations Coach Rosales! 



Two Memorial High School students, Efrain Batista and Martha Villegas Soto, spoke during May 19’s Board of Trustees monthly meeting about the impact of the scholarships issued to them through the Jaimie Rosales Annual Golf Tournament. Memorial High School’s Coach Rosales established the scholarship tournament in honor of his deceased brother. So far, 45 high school students have received funds for their college and university studies through this special scholarship fund.

Coach Rosales was recognized at the May meeting as the recipient of the Spring Branch ISD T-2-4 Teacher Spotlight. 

Memorial High senior Efrain Batista honored Coach Rosales with these words: "Football is like life – it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority." Those are the words of former American Football Coach Vince Lombardi (1913-1970) 

“Four years ago, around this same time of the year, I walked into Memorial High School’s Field House as a freshman to pick up my football equipment. A man sitting next to the weights asked my name and size with a deep voice and firm stare. I knew at that moment I had entered “Texas Football Country.” 

“Coach Rosales was always firm and demanded the best of every player on and off the field. Many times he was the first one out there training with us during the 100-plus degree summer heat, and he was the last one out of the Field House."

“During our helmet measurement days, we were encouraged to purchase our own helmets and the one that I loved was very expensive, and Coach Rosales allowed me to make payment in order for me to have my first personal football helmet. Thank you for the opportunity!"

"That helmet today is my symbol for Coach Rosales, and that is how I can describe him: Like the outside of the helmet, hard skin on the football field, and like the inside of a helmet, protective and sheltering off the field. Coach Rosales is a giving man, sharing his knowledge and his gifts to others."

"I thank you Coach Rosales for the football lessons, but mostly for the off-the-field lesson of giving to the community, of encouraging people to succeed. I learned through you that there is truly no excuse not to get the best education possible, and to make it big!"

“Coach Rosales created the Hispanic Forum, and through this organization he was able to touch many lives, not only Hispanic students, but many parents as well. Coach Rosales, from School Portal training to the lending of laptops and computer training, to being a shoulder to cry on or an open heart and ear to listen, thank you."

“Thank you for believing and modeling with your own life story that every child can attain anything they put their mind to. There are no barriers to achieving success. Through you, I will have the lesson that success comes to us if we have perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority. “I hope to make you and The Luis Jaime Rosales Scholarship Fund proud off the field, and I thank you for the opportunity to achieve my dreams!"

2 comments :

  1. That is such a great story. I know first hand that he is one of a kind of teacher, coach and friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Efrain!

    ReplyDelete

Do you have feedback? Tell us.