Stratford High Boys Cross Country defended a Class 4A State Champions title on Nov. 9 at Old Settlers Park in Round Rock in the UIL state meet. They took home a Class 5A State title this year by running up 112 points. Stratford finished 13 points ahead of second-place College Station.
For a second consecutive year, senior Austin Richard led the way for these hungry Spartans. He finished the race in 15 minutes, 41.56 seconds, which earned him his second consecutive silver individual medal at the state meet.
Joining Richard in the team win were the following runners: Jake Roberts, junior, 62nd place; Paul Brastrom, senior, 46th; Doug Baker, 49th; Sam Evetts, sophomore, 71st; Hayden Richard, senior, 14th; and Devin Fahey, sophomore, 70th.
Five of Stratford’s runners finished the 5,000-meter Round Rock course either at or under 17 minutes, an astonishing team effort of speed, endurance and grit.
Coach Tony Brillon had only praise for his runners and what they accomplished for the second year in a row: “This has been one of the most remarkable teams I have been associated with while coaching . . . total team work.”
In related news, nine SBISD student athletes signed with colleges and universities across the nation during Signing Day this fall. (See student listings below.)
Two students were honored by the Touchdown Club, too. Riley Green of Stratford High and Griffin Doyle of Memorial High are two of 25 Houston area football players selected from a field of more than 70 students as Touchdown Club Scholar-Athletes. Both young men are ranked No. 1 in their class. Riley is coached by Eliot Allen. Griffin played for Coach Gary Koch. (See student listing below.)
Highlights of this year’s fall successes in cross country, team tennis, volleyball and football in SBISD Athletics include the following summary:
- Stratford HS Boy’s Cross-Country repeats as State Champions (2014-5A/2013-4A)
- 19-5A District Champions @ Varsity, JV and Freshman levels
- Stratford HS Girl’s Cross-Country team finishes 9th at State
- 19-5A District Champions @ Varsity level
- Memorial HS Girl’s Cross-Country 18-6A District Champions @ Varsity & JV levels
- Khayla Patel and Lesley Romero qualify individually for UIL 6A State Meet
- 2 SBISD Cross-Country runners medal at the State Cross-Country Meet:
- Austin Richards, 2nd in 5A Boy’s Race (2nd year in a row)
- Khayla Patel, Memorial, 6th in 6A Girl’s Race
- All four SBISD High Schools qualify for Regional CC Meet (44 athletes)
- Memorial Boys & Girls, Northbrook Boys, Spring Woods Boys, Stratford Boys & Girls, & 2 NHS Girls qualify
- Memorial HS Team Tennis finishes as a State Semifinalist
- Undefeated district champions, 2005-present
- 6th consecutive Regional Championship crown
- 6th Consecutive trip to UIL State Tournament
- Stratford HS Team Tennis finishes as 5A Regional Semifinalist
- 19-5A District Champions @ Varsity & JV level
- Memorial Volleyball finishes as 18-6A District Champions at every level in program
- Stratford Volleyball qualifies for the Playoffs and finish as 5A Bi-District Champions
- Stratford Varsity Football is the 19-5A District Champion and in the first round of the 6A Div. I playoffs
- Memorial Varsity Football claims a share of the 18-6A District Championship and is in the first round of the 6A Div. II playoffs
- Two SBISD football players are among the 25 Houston Area student-athletes honored by the Touchdown Club of Houston as Finalists and scholarship recipients at their Football Scholar-Athlete Luncheon.
- Griffin Doyle, Memorial HS, #1 in class
- Riley Green, Stratford HS, #1 in class
- Alexandra Buscher, Memorial HS senior swimmer, and two-time defending UIL 5A State Champion in the 200m Girl’s Free, was chosen as the KHOU Channel 11 Sports Extra Athlete of the Week.
- Christi Gregory, a senior lacrosse player at Stratford HS, was one of 36 student-athletes recognized by Houston Positive Coaching Alliance as a nominee for their Triple-Impact Competitor Scholarship.
- Multiple Student-Athletes Sign Letters of Intent to Play College Athletics:
- Alexandra Buscher, Memorial, signs with Texas A&M Swimming
- Kody Clemens, Memorial, signs with Texas Baseball
- Sam Giammalva, Memorial, signs with Texas A&M Tennis
- Tadhg Collins, Memorial, signs with Air Force Tennis
- Carson Pyle, Memorial, signs with Hawaii Pacific Volleyball
- Kaylee Taff, Memorial, signs with Austin Peay State Volleyball
- Ethan Franklin, Northbrook, signs with Lamar Baseball
- Phoebe Lemay, Stratford, signs with Cal-Berkeley Diving
- Ashley Fritcher, Stratford, signs with Baylor Volleyball