During a 9 a.m. live broadcast hour on Sept. 30, Cristina Kooker, a reporter with the Great Day Houston local show on KHOU-TV 11, led school and community members into Bridgette’s kindergarten class for a big teacher surprise.
Watch KHOU-TV 11 video >>
Bridgette, who has taught kindergarten boys and girls for 23 years, including 14 years at Westwood, soon learned on the air from Ms. Kooker that she was being named Great Day’s Star Furniture Red Apple Recognition Award winner.
Her live TV honors included a framed certificate and a signature Star Furniture Red Apple statue.
In addition, Houston City Council Member Brenda Stardig presented Bridgette with a special city proclamation honoring her work with kindergarten students.
Named campus Teacher of the Year twice, Bridgette is known across the district for her roles as early elementary teacher and a campus/community role model:
- The SBISD Board of Trustees honored her last year for supporting the most student teachers in the district.
- She provides kindergarten after-school programs for Westwood students.
- As the campus mascot lion, Bridgette appears at special occasion events ranging from Carnival to high school Homecoming parades.
- She helps sponsor Family Library Night once a month.
- Bridgette is known by many for her incredible love of Kermit the Frog. Students will give her frog gifts. Her kindergarten class is represented by one animal – known as The Froggys, of course.
PTA’s Carlson – like so many others – should know. Her own child had Bridgette as a kindergarten student.
“Those fortunate to have here get someone special. She is able to open their minds to do what they think they cannot do. To children, she is as energetic and truly full of life as a pop-up book,” she also said.