Friday, October 27, 2017

MHS Debate Coach Inducted into TFA Hall of Fame

Cecil Trent was in the eighth grade when a teacher suggested he take debate in high school.

“This might have been her way of telling me I had a smart mouth, but her words ended up changing my life,” said Trent, now the debate teacher at Memorial High School.

Indeed. Trent was recently inducted into the Texas Forensic Association (TFA) Hall of Fame, an honor for which inductees “shall have served the organization and his/her students in a meritorious fashion.”

(Dictionary.com defines forensic as “the art or study of argumentation and formal debate.”)

“Cecil is a role model for us all as he leads, teaches and contributes to the community of forensics at Memorial High School and the entire state of Texas,” said Kandi King, chair of the TFA Hall of Fame committee, in an announcement letter.

Trent said he never expected such recognition.

“I was shocked when the head of the Texas Forensic Association called me telling me that I was being inducted into the Hall of Fame,” he said. “I never thought anything like that would happen to me.”

Memorial High School Principal Lisa Weir said that it’s not surprising that Trent would be inducted into the TFA Hall of Fame.

“We are so proud of Cecil Trent’s commitment and dedication to the debate program at Memorial,” said Weir. “Mr. Trent leads, teaches and gives students the opportunity to polish their speaking and acting skills and to represent Memorial in national tournaments. This is an exciting and proud moment for all of us.”

Debate is something of a family affair for Trent – he’s married to Spring Woods High School debate coach Victoria Beard, whose students also do well in tournaments.

“It really helps having someone who understands debate,” said Trent. “We really do work six days a week. We both understand what it takes to be successful.”

Trent graduated from Northbrook High School in 1979, went off to UT-Austin to earn a teaching degree and started his career teaching language arts in Spring Branch ISD in 1983.

He began coaching debate in 1985, and he’s still excited about what debate does for students.

“I have seen my debaters grow in confidence, learn to think critically, become experts on the issues that concern our society and go off into the world knowing they will succeed,” he said. “I am very proud that several of my former students became debate coaches themselves.

“I think debate is the best game in town,” he said. “The competiveness of debate is like no other.”

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Do you have feedback? Tell us.