Spring Woods High School’s award winning student Speech and Debate Team returned earlier this month from a Dallas-area competition with a 3rd Place Sweepstakes honors plus several state qualifications.
The Tiger Speech and Debate Team students competed against more than 100 high schools from 16 states in the Sept. 13-14 Grapevine High School Speech and Debate Tournament.
Grapevine High, located in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, is part of Grapevine-Colleyville ISD.
Spring Woods High was reportedly the only Houston-area high school team to earn a Sweepstakes honor at this tournament.
The SBISD student team also earned six advance bids to the National Individual Events Tournaments of Champions, an annual contest in individual interpretation and oratory. The national tournament will be held in May 2015 in Lincoln, Neb.
Spring Woods High School student awards include:
· Travis Boyd – Congressional Debate, 10th Place; and Domestic Extemporaneous, 3rd Place
· Angel Ramirez – Dramatic Interpretation, 6th Place; Humorous Interpretation, 3rd Place; Original Oratory, 2nd Place. He qualified for State.
· Carlos Diaz – Dramatic Interpretation, 8th Place
· Valentina Rombado – Humorous Interpretation, 5th Place
· Karesha Bell – Poetry Interpretation, 2nd Place
The Spring Woods High Speech and Debate team is led by Director of Forensics Victoria Beard.