Monday, June 3, 2013

Galleria Chamber of Commerce Scholarship

Memorial High School graduate Ryan Massey has been awarded the Galleria Chamber of Commerce Scholarship. Ryan received a $2,000 scholarship and other college-related gifts during the chamber’s annual Vintner Dinner and Pathmaker Scholarship Awards held at Del Frisco’s Steakhouse. The dinner event was held on May 20.

In addition to her $2,000 scholarship, Ryan received a College Chest valued at $1,800 that included a laptop computer with software and printer, and a $100 gift card from Yellow Taxi for college-related transportation needs. Ryan plans to attend Texas Christian University and major in business, finance and accounting. Her career goal is to be a chief financial officer.

She wrote in her scholarship application: “If you were to ask most teenagers going to college at this point in their life, two-thirds of them would most likely tell you that they have no idea what they want to do. I wouldn’t be one of them. I have wanted to be an accountant since I took an accounting class my junior year. My even longer-term goal is to hopefully be a CFO (chief financial officer).”

“I have come to realize how expensive Texas Christian University is, but feel it’s the best place where I can reach my goal of becoming an accountant. My goals for my college education are to get my degree and get a steady job where I can provide for my own family, as well as my family at home. I would like to major in business, finance, or accounting. Accounting is organized and sometimes exact, which I love about it. I plan to finance this education with financial aid from TCU and with scholarships like yours.”

A native Houstonian, she attended Bunker Hill Elementary and Memorial Middle schools in addition to Memorial High. She loves to read, listen to music and play lacrosse. During recent years, Ryan’s family has struggled with several job losses and related issues, making her Galleria Chamber of Commerce scholarship deeply important to her future success.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Do you have feedback? Tell us.